Saturday, January 11, 2014

Why I Decided to Start Blogging

One of my Big Rocks this year is to become a "connected" principal.  One objective toward this goal is increasing my own digital literacy and use of digital tools for the benefit of my staff, students, parents, and my own professional growth.  

My first step was following  Jessica Johnson's and Dwight Carter's blogs along with their staff Friday Focus/Memos. I was inspired to create a Friday Focus for our school that  highlights "staffulty" and students and shares resources, articles, videos, blogs, or tweets from other educators related to our Big Rocks.  My next step was finally joining Twitter after years of encouragement from a very connected teacher, @PaulBogush, who inspired one of my teachers at a Dialogue 21 Conference so much with his session that she joined the Twitterverse that weekend and fully embraced how web 2.0 tools could change her teaching and students' learning.  As a result of the edchats, the very cool educators I follow, and what I hope will be a growing PLN, I've decided to embark on the next step in my digital journey and create a blog.  I'd like for this to blog to reflect my views and thinking as a leader as well as my learning journey.

I am blessed to work in a district that supports technology for learning.  BYOD was adopted the year before I arrived; each team has a Google Chrome book cart; and I have an amazing LMS/Tech Ninja (Denise) who is constantly demonstrating ways for students and teachers to integrate technology through co-teaching, modeling, and embedded PD.  We also have the privilege of having district Tech Ninjas (Denise and Jeanne) who push our thinking and practice and keep us current.  However, in order for transformation to happen, I know that I have to be a digital leader who models the use of social media and other tools to share and encourage learning and to connect with and inform stakeholders about all facets of our school.  This means being open to change, taking some risks, and sharing the lessons of the inevitable missteps along the way.  I say bring it on!
 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to follow your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to have you as a follower. I really appreciate what you've done to lead the learning for those of us getting started. I consider your website a valuable professional learning resource.

      Delete
  3. Great post - I found it through #blogamonth! Sounds like a lot of exciting stuff is happening with you at the helm. I'm new to blogging too, and was amazed at the effect of personal/public reflection on what I'm doing and trying. Enjoy the ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. I really needed this challenge to follow through on what I had long been thinking about. I am excited about entering this challenge with experienced bloggers and newbies like us and for the opportunity to learn from each other.

      Delete