Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thankful for Connection



Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse. - Henry Van Dyke 


No matter the language, thank you is a beautiful word. Whenever the chaos of life threatens to "steal my joy," I stop to appreciate what I have and where I am in the current season of my life. When I remember to be thankful for what is going well, it immediately improves my attitude and aligns my perspective on even the most challenging of situations. While I know we should do this all of the time, I love the season of thanksgiving because it provides me with a specific opportunity to reflect, show appreciation and return the many acts of kindness I have received.  Among my many gifts, I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part of the messy, exciting, emotional, complex, fast-paced, never dull, chaos of school, and to partner with an amazing staff and families in clearing paths toward bright futures without limits for our amazing students.  

As a life long learner, I am constantly looking for ways to grow and improve for the benefit of my staff and students.  A little over a year ago, I joined Twitter and my world expanded in ways I could not have imagined.  I didn't even know what a PLN was before@pcmteacher  told me about it  (Here is a great article by Tom Whittlby  explaining it if you are still wondering).  But here I am, one year later, forever changed by a network of educators I connect with on twitter (shout out to #ptchat, #satchat, and #ptcamp) and now Voxer, where I regularly connect with my fellow #ptcamp and Leading in the Middle friends and colleagues.  As a result of my PLN's transparency, sharing, and support, my perspective has widened, my knowledge has deepened, and I have reached new levels of understanding about myself as a person, learner, teacher, and leader.  

So on this last day of November but not the last day of giving thanks, I want to say thank you for helping me be a better me. 

 


“If the only prayer you say in your life is ‘thank you,’ that would suffice.” – Meister Eckhart

3 comments:

  1. Joy, you are a trusted resource to me. Thinking back to when we first connected, through an impromptu book chat and true learning experience (for me), I'd never have imagined the possibilities for how much you'd continued to promote my growth as a school leader. For anyone who wonders about "the why" for being a connected educator, all they have to do is get to know you and leaders like you. That's when they'll understand.

    Great post, my friend...

    Thank YOU.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,

    So glad you are part of my PLN and #ptcamp. Thank you for sharing, listening and being a positive influence. Education needs more Joy!

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grateful for you, Joy - your perspective always illumines!

    ReplyDelete